- Servings Per Recipe: 6
- PER SERVING: 315 cal., 8 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 198 mg sodium, 53 g carb. (10 g fiber), 15 g pro.
- 8 ounces dried multigrain or whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 10 – ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 15 – 16 – ounce can Great Northern beans, navy beans, or cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to hot pan. Add spinach; toss to combine. Spoon into a 2-quart casserole; set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine vegetable broth, onion, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place cashews in a food processor. Cover and process until finely ground. Add half of the water; blend until smooth. Add onion mixture, beans, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper. Cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the remaining water. Stir bean mixture into pasta mixture in casserole. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until crumbs are toasted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.