- Servings Per Recipe: 6
- PER SERVING: 229 cal., 5 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 107 mg chol., 783 mg sodium, 18 g carb. (4 g fiber, 3 g sugars), 28 g pro.
- 3 pounds chicken thighs and/or bone-in breasts, skinned
- 3 3/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch-long pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 2 stalks celery, bias-cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 cups sliced fresh shiitake, crimini, oyster, and/or button mushrooms
- 1 cup pearl onions, peeled
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, combine chicken, the 3 3/4 cups water, the bouillon granules, salt, caraway seeds, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Stir in green beans, carrots, celery, mushrooms, and pearl onions. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken pieces from the stew; set aside to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut up the meat; add to vegetable mixture in Dutch oven. In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup cold water and the flour; whisk until smooth. Add to stew. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Makes 6 (1 1/3-cup) servings.
If your diet allows, serve this hearty stew with your favorite bread.